You will be going south from Ferndale, along the Blue Slide Road & into Rio Dell, travel the Avenue of the Giants, up Panther Gap, down into the Mattole Valley, along the ocean then up the wall — the Endless Hills — down the Wildcat back into Ferndale. You will have ridden one of the world’s toughest 100 mile courses when you complete this great ride.
In the interest of safety any participant that does not reach “The Wall” by 6:30 pm must agree to be brought in by the Sag Wagon.
- Start/Finish Humboldt County Fairgrounds, Ferndale. Head west on 5th St. three blocks to Ocean Ave., turn left and head south out of town.
- Mile 3.7 Waddington Rd. continue on through the Ferndale Bottoms toward Rio Dell on Grizzly Bluff Rd.
- Mile 5.4 Grizzly Bluff School intersection, turn right to Rio Dell
- Mile 8.3 Continue on toward Rio Dell.
- Mile 13.1 Intersection –STOP SIGN!!!— Watch traffic control officer / CHP / RIO DELL CHECK-POINT / AID STATION. Turn right onto Wildwood Ave., go through Rio Dell, cross the historic Scotia Bridge.
- Mile 14.4 Continue through Scotia, the road turns to the left as you pass the lumber mill offices and the old locomotive. Continue on to Highway 101.
- Mile 15.9 Enter Highway 101 southbound. SINGLE FILE PLEASE
- Mile 21.7 Take Pepperwood exit from 101 south. Turn left at STOP SIGN and enter Avenue of the Giants south. Continue on next 8.2 miles.
- Mile 25 REST STOP / AID STATION at IMMORTAL TREE GIFT SHOP. 50 mile riders turnaround here. 100 K and 100 mile riders continue on.
- Mile 31.7 Take Bull Creek Rd. / Honeydew exit under the 101 overpass. DO NOT take the bridge to the left. CAUTION: Poor road surface, narrow lanes and local vehicle traffic.
- Mile 38 REST STOP / AID STATION at ALBEE CREEK.
- Mile 40 Begin 6.8 mile ascent of Panther Gap Ridge
- Mile 48.4 Begin extremely steep downhill with hairpin turns. CAUTION: There may be sheep on the road!
- Mile 55.6 Honeydew Bridge USE CAUTION. Stay to the right as you pass the Honeydew Store. Wave to the onlookers. CAUTION: Cattle guards and possible loose cattle next 4 miles.
- Mile 63 REST STOP / AID STATION at A.W. WAY PARK. Lunch stop for 100 milers.
- Mile 66 Surprise Hill! 300 foot hill, just to remind you…
- Mile 69 Petrolia. After crossing country road through town. No turnoffs.
- Mile 73-75 Along ocean coast. CAUTION: Loose cattle & cattle guards.
- Mile 81.5 REST STOP / AID STATION at “THE WALL.” The fun begins! 1 mile climb, 18%-22% grade. YOU CAN DO IT!
- Mile 84 Descent begins. USE EXTREME CAUTION! Very sharp and steep turns with gravel areas.
- Mile 86 UNSTAFFED AID STATION at CAPETOWN. Porta potty, water, snacks at side of the road.
- Mile 86.7 The Endless Hill climbs for about 8 miles, so don’t attack the first climb. Many false summits. No turnoffs, so stay on the main road. CAUTION: LOOSE SHEEP
- Mile 89.9 CAUTION: Cattle guard
- Mile 96 Top of the Endless Hill—you’ve done it! Road begins four mile descent to Ferndale. CAUTION: HAIRPIN CURVES AND ROUGH ROAD.
- Mile 99.2 STOP SIGN: This one catches riders off guard…watch for it. Make a right and then an immediate left onto 5th Street back to the fairgrounds. Great job! You did it. See the finish line staff for your finishers patch.