The Tour of the Unknown Coast was organized in 1978
- To promote and conduct an annual bicycling event in Northern California:
- To promote and educate the general public regarding safe cycling practices and techniques;
- To generate funds which are donated to non-profit organizations in the Northern California area;
- To encourage bicycle riders of all level of cycling to participate; and
- To enhance the bicycle riding skills of the general public.
- Ride Director: Wally Coppini
- Briar Bush
- Rick Cluff
- Jennifer Johnson
- Larry Kluck
- Doug Lee
- Sid Noyes
- Sarah Schroer
- Bob Schultze
- Sean Tetrault
- Melanie Williams
Before it became an actual event, the route used today for the Tour of the Unknown Coast was a favorite loop among Humboldt County’s serious cyclists. This 100-mile lap has unparalleled beauty and challenges. In 1977, a group of these hardcore riders got together for an informal race for bragging rights over who could be first to complete what they had dubbed the “Tour of the Unknown Coast.” The following year it grew from that haphazard beginning to become an actual event.
Over the years, the TUC has given over $170,000 to charities in the North Coast community. Proceeds of the event are donated to the local nonprofit organizations that help produce the event, such as Humboldt State University Cycling Team, Redwood Acres BMX, Green Wheels, Humboldt Bay Bicycle Commuters Association, Humboldt County Search & Rescue Team, Humboldt Amateur Radio Club and others.
After more than 40 years, the event is still going strong, with the next event coming up on June 8, 2019. As always, the event will start and finish at the Humboldt County Fairgrounds in Ferndale.